Saturday, September 4, 2010

Seven Lessons from playing Volleyball


I have been playing volleyball since I was 14 years old. I admit I've cast this passion aside for several years. Lately my involvement in this sport has picked up and I must say, I am enjoying every bit of it.

I have contested in school's tournament, Singapore's open, Youth championship and have received a decent number of medals. I have made many good friends as well.

Passion for this sport is of Paramount importance. Most people I have met, and who have played well, are people who played with their heart, mind and passion.

Personally i think there are a few lessons which we can learn from this sport.

1) The journey is more important than the outcome
To volleyballers, it is better to have played a great game, put on a good fight, and lost - then to have won with a mediocre showing.

2) Collective over individuality
In volleyball, it is a game where six players need to work together. The focus is very much on the team and not on individual effort.

3) Small is big
We have seen too many seemingly weak teams edging out against the big giants. In volleyball, the  David vs Goliath story is very true.

4) Never say die till the very last minute
We have seen too many teams climbing back and winning the game only towards the very last minute.

5) A good team spirit can move mountains
When all members are focused on one thing. We know success is near.

6) Strategy Strategy Strategy
As in all sports, a sound strategy is needed to conquer your enemy.

7) Play with your heart not emotions.
if we have a sound logical mind, focused and undisturbed, chances are that we will be off for a good game.

So fellow volleyballers - thank you for making this game so enjoyable and likeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment