Friday, July 2, 2010

You need to love what you do

I am officially down with flu. Fell sick last night and slept till this morning.

I cancelled my class on facebook, something which i thought was interesting. With the advent of technology, there are just so many platforms to communicate our messages across.

Since i am on MC today, I shall just pen down my thoughts about my job as a marketing lecturer so far.

The journey has been rewarding. And I'm loving it.

I used to think that my calling was just to be a marketing or media professional. I used to want to work in the media line, be a DJ, emcee or an artiste (don't laugh). I took part in star search 2001, thinking that i can find my quick way to stardom. I got into the top 12, fought my way and realised I wasn't that great afterall. I had my fair share of media attention, fans, interests from relatives and friends. But that's just it. After two years, people forget about you and you are back to normacy in life.

I told myself that i wanted a career in marketing. I joined Panasonic Singapore and it was the beginning of a whole new experience. I travelled to remote places in India, rode on motorbikes and got robbed in Vietnam hcmc, bribed an official in Bangladesh ( for official work purpose), saw the serenity and the harshness in Cambodia ( phnom penh), drove in New Delhi and many more wonderful experiences which are still vivid in my memories.

My experiences in MCYS, HTL and Pacific Healthcare were equally rewarding.

Now that i am a lecturer teaching subjects like marketing, A&P, consumer behavior, i realised it is a whole new paradigm shift in my outlook work life. Though i miss the travelling a bit (actually ALOT!), i believe teaching has got its merits and fulfillment. I pride myself as someone who is able to relate to people. I had my fair share of leading people in my last two jobs. Managing students require a different set of skills.

I am enjoying it. Students coming to me asking for opinion. Students teasing me. Students listening attentively to what i have to say.

Well it is after all part and parcel of mentoring. As we grow older, we learn more about ourselves. Imparting what you know and the next generation learn. As a marketing mentor, i hope to empower students, young executives on real life marketing skills - something which they are able to apply in all facets of their lives in future.

You need to love what you do. So know where's your passion and keep the fire burning.

Dennis Toh

No comments:

Post a Comment